|IslandWood is an educational non-profit on Bainbridge Island. IslandWood serves schools and children in the Magnolia area. They are hosting a spectacular event on May 5th called Dinner in the Woods. It is held on their campus amongst the Douglas Firs and black-tailed deer on Bainbridge Island. They have an exciting schedule planned: cocktail hour, a scrumptious dinner prepared by their acclaimed chefs, local wine pairings, and silent and live auctions with stellar items. The whole family is invited and they will also provide educational children’s programming. There is no need to dress-up. True to their roots, this is a jeans-and-fleece gala. More information about the event can be found on their website: ditw.islandwood.org.|
Head down to the village tomorrow night April 27, from 5-8. 22 Magnolia merchants will have entertainment for all. Food, libations, music and art, what more could you ask for? A great way to spend Friday night!
The Wallingford Chamber of Commerce is helping the Wallingford neighborhood celebrate Earth Day this weekend with it’s much anticipated 3rd annual “Operation Beautification Wallingford” on Saturday. The clean up crews will be gathering from 11am to 2pm around the Wallingford Center to begin cleaning, and will also host face painting, a bake sale and live music. If you’d like to help beautify the neighborhood but aren’t able to work outdoors, you can donate items to the bakes sale! All proceeds from the event will be donated to the Wallingford Community Senior Center and the Chamber for their endeavors and dedication to keeping the community clean, and to “eat, live and work well.” If you’d like more information on volunteering in and around Wallingford for Earth Day, please find more information here.
On Thursday morning a 56 year old mother reportedly saved her family during a house fire in the Greenlake neighborhood. Firefighters were called to the tangletown home around 3:30am, responding to a call for smoke sightings. The Seattle fire department spoke with the woman, who said she awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of her smoke detector going off, and ran upstairs to wake her 21 year old son and three small grandchildren, the oldest one only 5 years old. The woman was reportedly taken to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of smoke inhalation and the fire was reportedly caused by an overheated extension cord on the second floor of their home. Damage to the home was ruled as accidental, and estimated to cost $75,000 in damages.